Friday, December 7, 2012

Cortinas

I left my house this week to go buy curtains and I will admit, I felt pretty cocky. I can totally do this.

The curtain situation in the house is ok - we have them. But they are very thin and transparent. It's as bright as the sun in the kids' room at nap time. I am more than a little embarrassed by my interim solution.

Yep, air mattresses and an old blanket

But this week I was going to fix it! I have been avoiding this (obviously) for 2 months. There is a fabric store in Prado Norte that I have scoped and even been referred to by fellow expats.  My general rule is if an expat recommends it, they probably have someone who speaks some sort of English.

Fancy fabric store.  With valet.

So off I go with one of the existing curtains from the kids' room. I figured showing an example would be easier than communicating measurements. My plan was to pick out fabric, pull out my curtain and say "dos." As a backup Cecilia even wrote something out for me. How would you say pinch pleats en Espanol? So with curtain and note in my purse I am ready to go.

Curtain in purse.  Check.

On the way I stop at a little street vendor and experience my best Spanish to date. I bought lights for our Christmas tree. For some strange reason ours don't work here. Something about the outlets? I don't know. Anyway adding to my hubris I have a fabulous conversation with the vendor. Color o blanco? Cuántos metros? I can DO this.

The fabric store was hopping and full of well dressed ladies. I pick my product find a helper and do my thing.    No one speaks English, but hey, an example and a note!  Happy with myself I pay and walk home. Granted it was a little more expensive than I had thought but who knows what custom curtains cost in Mexico? Not me.

Counter, note, curtain.  What could go wrong?

I get home and proudly show Cecilia my receipt.

Here is a picture of Cecilia back at the fabric store. Upon viewing my receipt she grabbed the kids and bolted out the door with me. Apparently I ordered 2 sets of curtains and curtain liners.  For those counting, that's 6 things too many.  I guess every time I said "dos" they added it on.

 She got me a huge refund.


Gracias Cecilia!!


The end product will be ready in 15 days.  Or maybe on December 15.  When I asked cuando? The response was "quince" - so we shall see....

3 comments: