Saturday, October 13, 2012

Moving abroad? Here's how you can watch TV

I read in the WSJ today that fall TV viewership is down significantly. I would like to take partial credit for that decline.

I unabashedly love TV. I used to make TV tapes for my boyfriend like others made mix tapes. Good old days of VCR.

So what's a girl to do when she moves to a foreign country?

SlingBox. It's a device that is hooked up to a TV (preferably in your home town) and whatever is on that TV can be broadcast to your computer. I use this mainly for college football so ours is connected to my dads TV. Works pretty well... But you watch whatever is on the tv its hooked up to. Yes, you can change the channel but rude! It's not your TV. You are then also at the mercy of the cable package of the TV it's hooked to. This is probably the better solution for someone who is maintaining two homes.

Next - the Internets. You should check them out. My favorite new site is USTVnow.com. Created for military (genius!) it streams some local central Illinois TV station. You get the basic channels free (abc, NBC, CBS, fox) and if you're willing to pay (I am) you can get more. Still haven't convinced Jason I need the 200 channel + dvr package (primarily because you have to buy your monthly access up front - so if you want a year it's like $1500) but I may override him when True Blood (better yet - Game of Thrones) comes back on.

Next breakthrough is the Xbox. Jase wisely brought that down with him on his last business trip. We have no games. It is our DVD player and has Netflix and Hulu plus. Hello entertained kids.

And in the worst case scenario there is always iTunes. I am covered. So as long as our Internet doesn't go down (knock on wood with me please) I watch Survivor live Wednesday nights.

It's fun catching up on shows we've missed. Jason is currently watching some old-west show (Hell on Wheels?) that I just can't get into but when it's done he owes me Downtown Abbey.

Who knows maybe, just maybe we'll give The Wire one more chance (I know, I know, "its the best show ever" but ugh that first episode was So Boring).

No comments:

Post a Comment